Debenhams had an existing wedding insurance e-commerce website but were keen to make improvements to the customer journey and ultimately increase sales.
Working on behalf of UK General, we began the process by performing a usability report; presenting our findings and recommendations back to the Debenhams Personal Finance team. Issues we found included:
- Customers were unable to perform a side-by-side comparison of cover levels;
- Page elements were low contrast and primary action buttons were below the page fold;
- Page load and “click-to-quote” times were slow due to a large number of redirects;
- The mobile experience was poor, and the overall journey was cumbersome;
- The website lacked any customer feedback/reviews or social media integration;
- The website used a “flat UI” design style which complicated the customer’s understanding of what was clickable and what wasn’t.
As part of our recommendations, we designed and built a clickable, high-fidelity HTML prototype which addressed these issues and also suggested further enhancements. We also proposed a completely new homepage design based on a soon to be launched Debenhams Personal Finance re-brand.
We love prototypes and to quote designer John Maeda, “If a picture is worth 1,000 words, a prototype is worth 1,000 meetings.”
Using a prototype, we were able to demonstrate to Debenhams how their website would look and function when built and quickly establish if we had indeed improved the customer journey. Debenhams could also include the prototype in their sign-off process, safe in the knowledge what they saw was what they would get.